Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Island Running

For Memorial Day weekend Matt and I went to Vinalhaven, Maine.  For those of you who don't know, its an island off the coast of Maine that we visit at least once a year.  I haven't been running very long distances since I've been coming out here so I had to get creative on this trip.

I found a great eight mile loop and started off early on Sunday.  It was harder than I thought.  There were more hills.  Also, my Garmin decided to just keep turning itself off (which I have still yet to figure out).  My new shirt designed to hold stuff bounced more than I thought so I tucked it into my shorts.
So all of that being said it took me a while to get into a groove.

Once I did, I started to enjoy my surroundings and really take in the island.  I passed the dump, the airfield (and someone was actually taking off via plane when I did), I got a view of the wind turbines, the Quarry where we swim all summer and finally the harbor.

I had taken my debit card and planned on getting a latte when all was said and done but because its a small island and places actually keep Sunday hours, they were closed.  However, Matt and Roxy were driving by and they picked me up and took me home to some water.

I wasn't sore and I wasn't really that worn out.  I was surprised.  Overall, I covered 7.5 miles.  I plan to do the same run again in a few weeks.

Here are some photos I took with my phone on the run.  Its one of the reasons I love having it with me.  I didn't see the light house on my run, but its one of my favorite places on the island.
Harbor

Turbines

Brown's Head Light

Quarry


No comments:

Post a Comment