Friday, January 6, 2012

Looking Forward/Looking Back

2011 was a big year for me.  I took part in an informercial, graduated with my MBA, ran ten races, started practicing yoga, adopted a dog and opened a second company.  I can't believe it all happened so fast and at the end of it all, I think back to the laughs and the happy times that carried me through the low points.

When we look back on a time in our lives, we often only see the positive.  We don't take photos when we are sad and we don't have parties to celebrate tragic events.  Therefore we are felt with the highlights of our life.  And I think that's how it should be.

This holiday season I was faced with the mortality of my friends and family.  Someone very special to me had a heart attack.  He is recovered now and living a happier healthier life than ever before.  Someone else in my life recently passed away suddenly.  She has always been a part of my life and was a very special friend to my mother.  My heart goes out to her family and friends and know that the world lost a very kindred spirit.

I am guilty of always being busy, on the go and working around the clock.  Even when I'm taking time "off" I'm checking email, reading, etc.  This holiday season I've learned a valuable lesson, to take time to breathe and to enjoy.  You really never have any idea when you won't have the chance anymore to do so.

We're all afraid of being corny or rejected, but its important to tell your friends and family how important they are to you and how much you love them.  Again, you don't know when you may see them for the last time or they may simply not be a part of your life anymore.  Take a few moments to make sure they know how important they are to you.  Take a few moments to have a laugh together and create a memory.

Care more about those around you and do at least one selfless thing a day.  It doesn't have to be big, just send a text saying hello or send an e card with a smile in it.  Although I'm taking time to chat more with my friends, sometimes its short and sweet, but just enough to put a smile on my face.

So in 2012, I challenge you to become a better friend, live intentionally, and with purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment