Friday, January 14, 2011

Running can get you arrested

So here in New England we just had a massive storm.  Where I live there was over two feet of snow and major drifts.  (The snow on my back deck comes up to my waist.)  I did try running in it.  It was like every nightmare you've ever had where you run and run and go no where.  It was as if I was doing hurdles.  The snow was over my knees.  While it won't usually be that high I did want to find a safe place to run during the winter months.

My dad suggested the mall and I thought it was a great idea.  If nothing else, not having to wear three layers of clothes thrilled me.  So I visited customer service where I was told that I could run at the mall.  The person I spoke to gave me a mileage map, told me the hours and told me where I could even sign in to take part in a program that tracked mileage to work towards gift certificates.

I arrived the mall and started running.  I was stopped about 20 minutes in my a security guard who told me I couldn't run.  From here, its a long story but both the guard who stopped me and his superior were rude, and refused to explain to me why the 20 moms pushing strollers were allows to run and I was not.

I also asked what defines a run.  There are many walkers out there faster than I run.  Why are they permitted to be at the mall?

The security guards explained to me that I was causing a "public hazard".  I was also told I was "threatening".  I'm not the tiniest girl out there, but I'm about 120 pounds and clearly I wasn't going to outmatch these security guards.

I was threatened with arrest and told they would forcibly remove me from the mall.
I will not be going back to the mall for any reason.  I have written to the mall management company and the mall head office. I will keep you updated if I hear anything at all.

The reason I'm telling you all of this is that I feel its okay in our society to discriminate against runners, but not obese people. There is a double standard and those of us who are healthy are left out in the cold.

These security guards are being allowed to abuse their power.  The mall is hand picking the people they give a hard to and those they let slide.  They have no way to determine what a fast walk is versus a slow jog.  They have handled this situation very poorly and I thought you should know about it.

Just to let you know, this is the Danbury Fair Mall in Danbury, CT.  The management company, who stands by the mall's actions, is Macerich and they own and operate the following centers:
http://www.macerich.com/find/findacenter.aspx

Please support me in letting them know that they should allow runners and at the very least their customers deserve care, respect and courtesy.
Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment