Sunday, September 30, 2012

Warrior Dash Race Recap

I ran my first Warrior Dash earlier this September.  Sorry this post is so late!  I have to say it was one of the most fun races I've ever done.  I'm a big fan of the theme races with obstacles and the Warrior Dash did live up to my expectations.

The race event was the biggest I'd ever taken part in.  There were thousands of people there, live (loud) music, a beer tent, other stores/vendors, food, and multiple race start times.

The start was really cool.  Flames shot up over the start area and you could feel the heat as you ran by.  The crowd was loud and rowdy, making it a fun atmosphere.

The first mile was a lot of running and due to a few events this summer, I was having a hard time with it.  Running around a track faster than I'm used to to start took its toll on my asthma pretty quickly.

Before I knew it were at the first obstacle.  We ran through tires and over cars, then we ran through hanging tires.  We climbed up a rope ladder, walls with little rungs and even a flat wall with just a rope to climb up.  I was fearful I'd have to go around some of the obstacles but they were actually much easier than I thought.  The hardest part was hoisting myself up and over on a few accounts.  The course is harder the shorter you are.
This is right before we entered the muddy area.  We are still relatively clean here.

My first medal!  And I love the fast that the race number still has dirt on it :)

After the race and the mud fight!

Last obstacle...before going deep into the mud.  (It came up over my elbows!)

Fire pite!

There was one obstacle I fell off and into frigid water that was up to my neck.  I should have paid attention to how deep it was BEFORE I fell in!

There were two water stops and no porta potties ( I wished there was one!).  We ran up STEEP hills made of sand, through about a foot of mud, over a rope bridge, some more walls and we were at the end.  The last two obstacles are two small fire pits you jump over (really cool!) and a mud pit with barb wire over it.  While this looked fun and easy, it was harder than I thought.  I had to hold myself up off my knees to avoid them from getting cut up.

The mud was a funny type of mud that didn't come off easily.  We were hosed down with a fire hose and it still didn't come off.  Then we jumped in a lake and were still dirty, then I took a hot shower.  The clothes did come clean in the laundry though and the shoes don't look much worse for wear after a good run through the washing machine.

Yes, I was cut up and bruised at the end of the race, but it was some of the most fun I've had in a long time and doing it with my uncle was a blast!  We had a little mud fight and a lot of laughs!  I will do another Warrior Dash next year hopefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment