Saturday, November 6, 2010

Love Hate Relationships

Running and I have had a love hate relationship my entire life.  I ran cross country in high school.  I love running, but I hated my coach and the anxiety of racing.

I have run on and off most of my life.  I started running regularly again a few summers ago.  I was getting ready to race in the fall when I ended up with mono.

Fast forward about two years and I once again had the desire to run.  I began in February of this year.  I worked steadily and drove myself to exhaustion and eventually, injury.  I developed a severe case of IT Band Syndrome.  I had some actual tearing and disconnection of the tendon.  Not only could I not run, I could barely walk.

I will talk about my injury at another time, but it took months to work myself back to being able to bike, then walk, then jog and on Halloween of this year, I completed my first 5k race in over a decade.

If I thought I loved running before the race, I had no idea.  I'm not in love with running itself...we all know how it feels to be panting, in pain and dripping in sweat....I'm in love with what it does for me, my life and those who join me in the sport.  I'm in love with what running represents and what it teaches me.  And every day I head out to learn a new lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment