Friday, November 12, 2010

Lost in the Woods

Okay today I ran a trail that I hadn't been on since this summer.  Its a very rocky and hilly cross country trail and although its fairly short in length, its challenging.  Well it was so covered with leaves that the rocks were hidden.  I almost tripped twice.  I slipped once.  Despite all of this I decided to continue on the trial even after having the opportunity to get off the trail at the halfway point.  Big mistake.

I kept running all of a sudden my surroundings didn't look familiar anymore.  I realized that I was in the middle of the woods, with no trail markers anywhere in sight.  Now I did have my cell phone and my whistle with me and I'm confident I could have cut through the woods  and found my way back, but there isn't much as disconcerting to a run as being lost.  I backtracked, found the blazes and then high tailed it off the trail....and I won't be back until there are leaves on the trees again.

However, being on this trail really made me think.  I remembered the last time I was on it..and what was going through my head then.  Although this was just a few months ago, everything was different.  Its hard to believe so much has changed in my life in just a few months, but it has.  I've opened another branch to my business, entered my final year of grad school, walked away from some relationships, developed some others.....and really worked on finding happiness.  It sounds corny, but a lot can change is just a short amount of time.  And if I've learned anything its to expect the unexpected and despite the best laid plans you can never tell where you will be in just a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment