Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Positive Versus Negative

Although there are lots of jokes out there about it all being downhill after 30, I don't feel like I'm that old.  However, I do feel pretty darn wise these days.  The last year has been one filled with turmoil.  I've talked about lots of the changes I've gone through on this blog.  However, for those of you just "catching up" I've graduated with my MBA, opened a second business, lost friends, gained friends, been through some serious medical issues, adopted a dog, and changed the direction of my business.  Its been a LOT of blood, sweat and tears kind of year.


I've realized that things are all how you look at them. You can get all wound up when something goes wrong, or you can shake it off and keep on moving.  You can get upset when someone makes you angry, or you can simply not let them to influence your life.

I will admit I'm often guilty of something small derailing my day and effecting me going forward.  However, about a year ago I realized I have this behavior and it needed to stop.
The change was immediate and made a big difference.

So how does all of this relate to running?  Lately, I've noticed that some people who have recently taken up running feel as though they are superior to the rest of mankind.  Its a phenomena I've seen a bunch of times.  Someone takes up running or working out and gets up early all of a sudden.  Despite the fact that they used to sleep in on weekends, they are now bragging about how early they are getting up and how industrious they are.

I've also had a bunch of people want to know how fast I go, what I do on a daily basis, etc.  While this may seem like friendly banter, it hasn't always been in the most friendly tone.  I'm amazed at how these people are willing to brag, boast and nit pick.  I know the feeling of losing weight and finding fitness.  You want to scream it from the rooftops and you want to share it with everyone.  However, its not the right thing to do.

I'm not perfect.  However, I try to be a kind person who cares about others and I take this into consideration in my daily activities.  I try to be the type of friend I want to have in my life.  I am constantly improving, learning from my mistakes and making changes to better myself.

I have found some wonderful, supportive running friends, both in person and online.  We don't talk times, or PRs, but we talk about how we feel, how proud we are of each other and how we can all work to improve.  I feel that these are the real runners out there.  People willing to lend an ear and be supportive, rather than judging.  Real runners love each other regardless of where you are in the pack.  Real runners wave to each other, don't compare sizes, cry together at the finish line and don't cheer each other on.  Real runners wait until the last person crosses the line and cheer the loudest they have all day.  I strive to be a real runner each and every day.

No matter how tired I feel during a race, if I'm passing someone and I see they are struggling, I tell them they can do it.  The smile they give me warms my heart and keeps me going.
Now pass it on.


Believe you can and you're halfway there.
Theodore Roosevelt 

No comments:

Post a Comment