Thursday, July 28, 2011

Hanging Out in Purgatory

I recently went to Purgatory Chasm in Massachusetts.  Its a place I used to go a LOT as a kid.  My parents live close by.  We recently visited them and decided it would be a fun day trip.  I had never taken my husband and we've been married almost ten years!  

I was a little concerned that it was going to be the victim of childhood imagination and that when we arrived, it was going to be smaller and not as grand as I remember it being. It was just as I remembered it.




The center chasm is 1/2 mile in length and it goes down quickly.  You are walking through a chasm with rock faces on both sides of you that reach up hundred of feet.  While they don't allow you to climb the "walls" you can play around on the rocks as much as you'd like.

There are caves to plays in, holes that come up out of now where and lots of cool rock shapes to play on.  Its more of a "scramble" than a hike.  We had our doggie with us and my husband had his big camera so we didn't do a ton of playing around on the rocks.  However, it was a lot of fun.  

My parents enjoyed it quite a bit too I think.

It was funny though, they told me all sorts of stories of things I did when I was a kid.  Climbed a wall when they weren't looking, went through a small crack, you name it.  I was a lot more cautious as an adult thinking of all the ways I could get hurt...lol.

They have made lots of improvements to the park since I was a kid.  A new parking lot, an improved pavilion, a program building and a LARGE playground that is cool at any age. 

Sometimes you can be a kid again.  Oh and there was a wonderful farm that sold home made ice cream right down the road.  It was a great ending to a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment