Saturday, February 18, 2012

Long Term

Lately I've been surrounded by people who have decided to run a new big race, or have completed one.  I have a lot of friends who really want to run, faster, farther, etc right away.  And I've been getting a lot of questions about why I'm not training for a marathon, tri, etc.  And so I started to give it some thought.

And I came up with this....I do train for races...they are just 5k to five miles races.  I am a runner for the rest of my life, not until the big race day.  I am focusing on a lot of things in my life right now and prepping for a big race won't fit in. However, I love supporting my friends and family who are training for something big.

I have also starting things about difference between training long term and training short term?  Do you think you train harder if you have an event coming up?  Do you strive to accomplish more if the carrot is in front of you?  I want to hear what you have to say?

I think deadlines do help us work harder.  I see a lot of people working under deadline in my line of work and I know that it also causes stress, and in the case of running, injuries.  So I am going to stick with my slow and steady mentality.  At least until I have a little more time in my life to dedicate to a big race.  And I'm looking forward to the challenge some day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment