Saturday, June 18, 2011

Happy Father's Day!

As we recently did on Mother's Day, its time to take a step back and reflect on your father, or father figures and the importance they have had in your life.

Celebrating the holiday isn't about a gift or a card, its about saying thank you for being there, making you laugh, picking you back up and making the person you are today.

My dad and I had a special relationship.  I won't go so far as to say I was a tom boy or I was treated like a boy.  More simply, I was told I could do anything, even things that only boys traditionally did.

I was always in the workshop with my dad.  If we weren't there we were working around the house, on the cars in the garage, outside on the yard, or (my favorite) hiking and climbing mountains.

I was never told that I should "be careful" or I couldn't because I was a girl.  I was simply taught everything my dad had to teach.


We have always been silly together and in some ways, like two kids and my mom has always been the serious parent.  We have a lot of fun, but when times get tough my dad is there to give me some serious advice.

Like everyone else, we've had our rough patches..and I had my teenage moments.  However, I know that my dad and I share a special relationship, as hiking buddies, training partners, family, and friends.
So today, tell your dad how much you love him and take a moment to remember all of the times you've been lucky enough to have together.

No comments:

Post a Comment