Monday, April 4, 2011

Danbury 5k Race Review

This is the second time I've tried to write this race review.  The first try resulted in a blog post about balance.  You will see that later this month.

Anyway, I ran the Danbury 5k today.  As of right now I'm still waiting on my time.  This was my first race with a real timing chip (attached to the back of my bib), so I don't know my real time yet.



The course was NOT scenic in any way.  For those of you who know downtown Danbury, you know what I mean.  However, it was kind of cool running down roads that I've driven down since I moved to CT.


Although there was a building there for check in, massages, bathrooms and changing and there were two bathrooms, the lines were still LONG and mark my words, I'm no longer having any coffee before I get to races.  I could wait and in and get to the start with plenty of time.  However, waiting in the bathroom line is not how I like to mentally prepare.

I always like to look at how all the other races dress, check out their shoes, etc. I know its superficial and silly, but its my favorite form of people watching.

As I always do at races, I was greeted with an over whelming sense of being with "my people".  People who understand the need to get out of a perfectly warm bed at 6:30 in the morning, put on a pair of ugly shoes, and go into the woods.

The race was made up of two loops.  I drove it with my husband the other day and what looked "flat" in the car, wasn't at all.  Well there was one small hill that didn't seem so small the first time around.  The second time around it seemed down right LARGE.

I am hoping this was a PR time.  But like I said I'm still waiting to see.  And if anything, its going to be very close.  I had my Garmin on.  I watched it closely for the first mile and did it in under 9:30, the second mile was very similar, 9:35 I believe.  I don't feel like I lost a lot of time on the last mile but I stopped looking.

I did update my iPod mix before this race and it made a big difference.  Some old songs came on and they were inspiring (Right Now), and there was a little new in there (think Britney) and it was just the boost I needed.

I stopped and walked for a few seconds to take water.  I have learned the hard way that I'm not coordinated enough to run and drink and it results in a near drowning experience.

There was also a half marathon going on today.  It started 10 minutes before the 5k.  I didn't stay around for the results or to see the finishers cross.  Maybe someday I will be running that part of the race...

I did wear the tutu this time around.  I debated the bunny ears and left those at home.  My new dynamic sneaks from Nike (not new really, just new to racing) and my compression socks were a great pair.  I will wear them together again.

My nest race is in about a month and I'm already looking forward to warmer temps, more races and a whole season of running!!

No comments:

Post a Comment