Monday, March 10, 2014

New Food

This week I decided to get creative with recipes.  I love to cook and while I'm not a traditional "follow the recipe" person.  However, I love to plan and create amazing tasting and healthy meals for my family.

This week I created a few new favorites:

Red lentil coconut soup
This was a quick one to throw together and it cooked in the crockpot while I went to yoga and out with friends all day.

I put the following into a mini food processor:
1 onion
1 pepper (I used yellow, but red also works)
2 garlic clothes
One small "chunk" of ginger


I then added all of that to the crockpot PLUS
1 can chick peas
1 bag of red lentils (it was about 2 1/4 cups)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons salt
Squeeze of lime juice
1 can of coconut milk
7 cups of water (as it thickened I added a tad bit more)

I stirred it a few times and in a few hours it was ready to go and amazing.  It's a thick soup.  Add a little more lime if you want. Serve with pita bread or tortilla chips.

Avocado Hummus
I've been crushing on avocado lately and hummus is always a favorite.  SO, I combined them, and created my new favorite snack to go with tortilla chips or pretzel chips.

I used a food processor and threw in:
1/4 cup of olive oil
Salt
2 avocados (ripe)
1 can chick peas
lemon juice (squeeze)
2 clove garlic
1-2 tablespoons tahini
Turn it on, let it go and eat!


More are coming!  I'm inspired and since it's Lent even my husband is eating veggie only meals!

No comments:

Post a Comment