Friday, March 30, 2012

108 Sun Salutations

I recently took part in a celebration of the solstice by completing 108 sun salutations.  I had never done this before and I was cautious about signing up as it was on the same day as my 4 mile race.  However, I had always wanted to do something like this.


108 sun salutations isn't easy.  Its a lot of hard work and after the first five I was terrified I wouldn't finish.  However, before I knew it the first set of 27 was over.  Then we were half way done and from there on out it just seemed easier.  


My arms were sore and I sweat a LOT!  I was stepping back into low push up and at the end of the session I had intended to jump back.  However, my mat was so gross and slimy that I almost fell over.


So, why the 108?  It has a lot of meanings.  Our yoga teacher read us some at the start of our celebration, however, I had done a little digging before that at the questioning of my friends.  
So here are a few meanings!


-There are 108 beads on the mala (prayer beads)






-There are 54 letters in the Sanskrit alphabet, each has a male and female counterpart.


-Sun and Earth: The diameter of the Sun is 108 times the diameter of the Earth. The distance from the Sun to the Earth is 108 times the diameter of the Sun.

-Moon and Earth: The average distance of the Moon from the Earth is 108 times the diameter of the Moon.

-Silver and the moon: In astrology, the metal silver is said to represent the moon. The atomic weight of silver is 108.

No comments:

Post a Comment