Saturday, December 22, 2012

Going the Distance


I recently changed my workout routine.  Its not designed so I'll run my fastest time or lift more weight than I've ever lifted before.  Its designed so I have more energy, more optimism, and more endurance.  


The new training program has allowed me to fit workouts into my schedule better.  Some are shorts and more intense and many include Roxy so I don't have to walk her AND workout.  

I also took the pressure of myself with this new program.  Instead of having every day laid out and set in stone, I have a variety of activities to choose from and I can make it fit into my schedule and my work.  Although I work from home, I spend my days in front of my computer creating content, locating customers, and networking.  Its more time consuming than any full time job I've ever had.



Anyway, I have also given myself the luxury of not wearing my GPS watch and just running until I feel like stopping.  With no mental guidelines and no pressure, I've started increasing my mileage more and more.  I'm back to about 8 miles at a slow and steady pace and I could easily go farther.  I stop when I get hungry, Roxy seems to be tired or the weather changes.  

While I could LOVE to do a half marathon in the coming year, I don't want to do the local one (through Danbury) and I don't have the money to travel for one or pay the entrance fees that are normally at over $100.  

So I'll just keep running for me and at the end of the day, I'm happy with my accomplishments and happy with my new program.  I'm anxious to add even more distance, but I've learned that running is for the pure joy of it.  Its about how it makes me feel.  And if that is anything but happy and peaceful on any given day, then I'm not doing it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment